Gifted, Highly Gifted and High Ability Magnet
Eagle Rock Jr./Sr. High School
News for May and June
- ERMAC President Lynh Haaga has released the annual direct appeal fundraising letter. Copies (with personalized donation envelopes) have been distributed to all Magnet students through their design classes. A digital copy is also being sent to those families for whom we have viable email addresses. If you wish to receive Magnet correspondence via email please share your email address with Mr. Lord (email@example.com).
- Please consider donating before the end of the school year so that we can provide a proper send off to our Magnet Program Seniors as well as get a jump on much needed classroom supply upgrades for next school year.
- Our Magnet currently has just a few open spots. In an effort to upgrade to a digital platform and get away from paper communication regarding enrollment for next year, an attempt was made to use a survey feature on our Blackboard Connect automated system to determine which of our current students will be returning next year and which ones will be pursuing their education elsewhere. The survey did not exactly work as planned and a number of the messages did not get through to intended recipients. If you have a Magnet child that will not be returning for the next school year please contact the school and let Mr. Lord know (340-3576 direct or 340-3500 main office) so we can start the school year at our capacity of 700 students. We have a sizeable wait list of interested and qualified applicants and would like to offer as many of them as possible a slot in next year's classes.
- Before you know it the Class of 2017 Commencement will be here (June 8th). As is tradition, the event will take place at the Remsen Bird Hillside Theater at Occidental College.
News for March and April
- The eChoices applications have been processed and parents were notified in mid-March whether their children were offered a spot in the magnet or were placed on the waiting list. Parents have until April 7th to accept or decline magnet placement. After that, remaining open spots will be offered to students on the wait lists in priority order until all spots are filled, a process that takes usually from mid-April until late May.
- This year we will finish out the year with about 680 magnet students. We have had some families move away during the semester but will be able to offer those spots to students for next year.
- Our fundraising efforts have gotten off to a very slow start but the ERMAC parent officers are working hard to put a fundraising program together to prepare for some immediate needs as well to get a jump on next year. Thanks to Lynh Haaga for stepping up to lead this charge! Lynh, by the way, is the ERMAC President and Treasurer. Thanks also to the dynamic duo of Esther and John Juarez who were elected to the ERMAC positions of Treasurer and Vice-President, respectively.
- Expect a fundraising letter from your Magnet child soon!